Frequently Asked Questions
- What is the goal of Student Learning Services?
- What services are available?
- How do I request academic accommodations?
- How do I request tutorial services?
- Who will be tutoring me?
- How will the tutoring session be conducted?
- What happens after each session?
- What does the Tutor’s Report include?
- Who can use SLS tutoring services?
- Where can I find out more information?
- Are resources available for CLEP Preparation?
1. What is the goal of Student Learning Services?
Student Learning Services seeks to assist students with a variety of academic and organizational needs through academic success coaching, academic accommodations, tutorial services, and academic success workshops. There is no charge to students for any of these services.
2. What services are available?
- Individual tutoring in a variety of academic areas
- Academic Accommodations
3. How do I request academic accommodations?
Because we recognize that some students may need additional support within their learning environments, academic accommodations may be available to students with psychiatric, learning, or medical conditions in accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act. Requests are considered on an individual basis. Contact the Director of Student Learning Services for accommodation requests.
4. How do I request tutorial services?
Students will complete the agreement form online at the Student Learning Services home page to request individual or group services. This form requires students to identify the class for which they are requesting tutoring as well as the name of their instructor and advisor. By signing the form, tutees grant permission to SLS to discuss their progress with Aquinas College instructors.
Tutoring services are provided by the Director of SLS and other educators as needed.
6. How will the tutoring session be conducted?
All students receiving services are required to come to each session prepared with specific questions for their tutor. Failure to come prepared may result in the canceling of a given session. All tutored students are encouraged to develop effective study skills strategies during the semester.
7. What happens after each session?
After each tutoring session a Tutor’s Report will be completed by the tutor detailing the material covered during the session. Reports may be emailed to the instructor and the student’s advisor, upon request.
8. What does the Tutor’s Report include?
- Assessment, needs, and comments
- Plan for services
- Tutor’s comments and plan
- Date the student is scheduled to return, if applicable
9. Who can use SLS tutoring services?
Our services are open to all Aquinas students.
10. Where can I find out more information?
If you have any questions, please contact the Director of Student Learning Services at 615-297-7545.
11. Are resources available for CLEP Preparation?
Yes, you may purchase resources for CLEP preparation at
or find free resources at .
TEL has practice tests as well as practice problems, eBooks, and tutorials on all subject areas—all free. Just create an account with TEL and click on the materials you need.