A Brief History of Aquinas College
Rooted in Catholic heritage, Aquinas College has a history founded on Dominican Tradition. Owned and administered by the Dominican Sisters of St. Cecilia Congregation, the history of the College actually began its remote preparation with the establishment of the Saint Cecilia Congregation in 1860 at the request of Nashville’s second bishop, James Whelan, O.P. The College first began at the Motherhouse of the Sisters in 1928 as Saint Cecilia Normal School for the education of the Sisters to prepare them for their teaching apostolate. The school was affiliated with the Catholic University of America in 1929.
In 1961, the Saint Cecilia Normal School was replaced with Aquinas Junior College. Two significant milestones in the institution’s history occurred at this point: the College was moved from Saint Cecilia Motherhouse to its present location on a beautiful 83 acre campus, and it was opened to the public. The first students registered were from nearby Saint Thomas Hospital School of Nursing.
In 1971, the College was granted accreditation by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools to award the Associate Degree. In 1994 Aquinas Junior College changed its status to a four-year college when approval was given to offer a Bachelor of Arts degree in Interdisciplinary Studies (Teacher Education). Along with educating the young sisters of the Congregation, the College has provided area schools with lay teachers who have been prepared with a strong foundation professionally and spiritually. In 2012, Aquinas College received approval to offer graduate studies with Master’s degrees in Education and Nursing Education.
Since its founding in 1961, the College has been alert to both the permanent and the changing needs of the Nashville community. Sensitivity to those needs and to the needs of the Church led to the establishment of the degrees that Aquinas offers. Today, Aquinas College has grown to level three institution excelling in the education of liberal arts students, future teachers, nurses and individuals in the field of business.
Aquinas College recognizes that its identity and mission spring from Ex Corde Ecclesiae (From the Heart of the Church).
Timeline of Aquinas College
|1860||Dominican Sisters of the of St. Cecilia Congregation was founded at the request of Bishop James Whelan, O.P.|
|1923||The property on which Aquinas College presently sits was purchased by Mother Scholastica Breen.|
|1928||Saint Cecilia Normal School began at the Motherhouse.|
|1929||Saint Cecilia Normal School was affiliated with the Catholic University of America.|
|1961||Saint Cecilia Normal School was replaced with Aquinas Junior College.
• The College moved from the Motherhouse to its present location.
• The College was opened to the public for the first time.
• The Congregation’s Prioress General, Mother Joan of Arc Mayo, acted as the College’s first President.
• Sister Dominica Goebel was appointed Academic Dean. She continued to be assigned to the College until her retirement in 1989.
• The first 68 students registered were from nearby Saint Thomas School of Nursing.
|1962||Aquinas became co-educational with the enrollment of its first male students.|
|1964||Sister Noreen McDowell became President of Aquinas Junior College.
• Sister Noreen worked to obtain accreditation from the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools.
• A building campaign was launched to provide the College with a library and assembly hall.
|1967||Sister Henry Suso Fletcher was appointed President of the College.
• Sister Henry Suso strove to make Aquinas more known in, and of better service to the Nashville community.
• Theology and Philosophy courses began to be taught.
• Certificate courses were provided for parish religious education instructors.
|1968||The Law Enforcement Program was begun, offering an Associate Degree in Criminal Justice. This program was seen as no longer in keeping with the needs of the community and the mission of the College, and eliminated in 1992.|
|1970||At the recommendation of the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools (SACS), the College received a charter from the State of Tennessee and the Aquinas Board of Directors was formed.|
|1971||Aquinas received full accreditation from SACS to award the Associate Degree.|
|1972||An athletic field was designed and built on campus, with the first official baseball game played in March of 1974.|
|1976||The Aquinas Center was completed, providing the College with a physical education building for its inter-collegiate basketball team and other intramural activities.The Aquinas College Annual Benefit Dinner was begun.|
|1983||Aquinas began its Associate of Science in Nursing program.|
|1993||The Commission on Colleges of the Southern Association of Colleges granted Aquinas candidacy to award the Bachelor of Arts degree.|
|1994||Aquinas Junior College became a four-year college, changing its name to Aquinas College and offering a Bachelor of Science in Interdisciplinary Studies (Teacher Education).|
|1996||The College began offering a Bachelor of Science in Nursing to allow RNs with two- year degrees to complete their bachelor degree.|
|1999||The Bachelor of Business Administration degree was added.|
|2001||Aquinas began its Adult Studies program to provide both Associate and Bachelor Degrees to working adults.Classes began to be offered at additional sites in the Nashville area.The intercollegiate athletic program was eliminated.|
|2002||Sister Thomas Aquinas Halbmaier, O.P. was named President of Aquinas College.|
|2004||The library was moved to its new home in the recently renovated Aquinas Center.|
|2006||The Board of Directors of Aquinas College approved New Horizons 2015 Strategic Plan to provide the vision for the College in the coming years.|
|2007||CareAll Charitable Trust and St. Thomas Health Services contributed more than $6 million for the construction of a new Science and Nursing Building.|
|2008||The Newman Guide to Choosing a Catholic Collegeincluded Aquinas College as one of the top 21 Catholic colleges in the nation.Sister Mary Peter Muehlenkamp, O.P. was named President of Aquinas College.|
|2009||The Center for the Study of Catholic Higher Educationnamed the Aquinas College as “faithful and affordable” after an independent study found that an education at the College is $1,700 less per year than the average private college in Tennessee.The Newman Guide to Choosing a Catholic College again included the College in the top rankings in the second edition of the guide.|
|2011||Sister Mary Sarah, O.P. was named President of Aquinas College.|
|2012||Aquinas College introduced both Residential Life and graduate studies.|